- Keep the vision fuzzy and the priorities clear.
- Conduct reconnaissance into the future. Send probes and watch for anomalies and gaps.
- Keep a war chest. Save cash for when disaster strikes or when faced with a golden opportunity.
- Maintain the pressure. During the waiting, focus on improving operational efficiency.
- Declare the main effort. Decide and communicate. Focus all resources on the golden opportunity.
Doing active waiting well requires from leaders that they are patient, disciplined and alert during the waiting process, and courageous and bold during the rare times of major disaster or major opportunity. Not many people are capable of aligning their leadership behavior to these crucial external circumstances.